Sunday, 3 February 2008

the weekend.


For some reason Blogger hasn't been working so smoothly for me this weekend, so I'll keep this one short. I wanted to tell of a fascinating conversation I had with someone who makes and fits prosthetic limbs, but that will have to wait for another time (and when I have read a little more around it, incase I was being gullible!)

The Deutsche Borse Photography Prize 2008 (can't find the umlaut) shortlist has ben announced. I sort of feel the same about it as I do the Turner Prize, I will be familiar with one, not understand one, be annoyed by one... and never know how those have been picked over so many others. This year I like Jacob Holdt, but probably only because I had seen the book Jacob Holdt, United States 1970-1975

His website however is something to behold, at first I wasn't sure it was the same person, but even if it hadn't been, it certainly is a curiosity. The CV has a Walter Mitty/Forrest Gump quality to it, but I assume it's all true. I've not seen all the others in context yet, so I can't say for sure who's work I really like, but based on just this my expectations are high!

2 comments:

Dean C.K. Cox said...

Thanks for linking the Jacob Holdt Web site. I just spent at least an hour on it, basically ignoring other work I was supposed to be doing. What a character. I wonder ho much of it REALLY is true.

Mark Chilvers said...

All of the photographers are giving talks at the photog gallery and I have a ticket for the Holdt talk. Do you wanna go?18/3/07 at 7pm. Trouble is I've lost my ticket so will have to have another rummage...